He’s one of the greatest action stars of all time and everyone loves Kurt Russell, so here are my personal favourite movies of his.
- 1. The Thing – John Carpenter’s remake of The Thing from Another World remains a flawless classic, mixing paranoia, fear of being alone and good old fashioned practical effects to create this masterpiece of horror/action.
- 2. Big Trouble in Little China – Arguably Kurt Russell’s best and most quotable character, Jack Burton deserved a franchise and I would have loved a sequel.
- 3. Escape From New York – Snake Plissken is one of the coolest, most badass movie characters on the planet. You’ll notice that Russell is at his best when he works with John Carpenter and I’d love to see them team up again. Escape from Earth anyone?
- 4. Tombstone – One of the all-time great Westerns with an outstanding cast, Russell plays Wyatt Earp and there is nothing more epic than his mustache in this movie.
- 5. Tango & Cash – A classic buddy movie starring Sly Stallone and Kurt Russell as two rival cops, framed and sent to prison. They have to break out while making sure they wise-crack every step of the way.
- 6. Stargate – You sometimes forget that this is a Roland Emmerich film and it also one of his best. Essentially it’s Star Wars meets Indiana Jones but it’s great family fun with an amazing music score and some awesome action.
- 7. Soldier – Derided upon its initial release, I always loved this movie as Kurt Russell plays a futuristic soldier trained to kill, but when he’s seen as obsolete he’s dumped on a garbage planet where he meets a small group of humans who help him discover his humanity. It has an awesome one man army finale.
- 8. Backdraft – Ron Howard’s action thriller about firemen has some amazing set-pieces and great performances. Russell gives one of his best as a man who is constantly at odds with his younger sibling.
- 9. Executive Decision – The movie where Steven Seagal dies!! Russell stars as Dr. David Grant, a very different character who is more of a suit rather than a badass, but the film oozes tension from beginning to end.
- 10. Breakdown – A great action thriller also starring the late, great J.T. Walsh, Russell plays a man desperate to find his kidnapped wife.
Honourable mentions: Escape from LA (The effects are the only really bad thing), Death Proof (Kurt is a bad guy, but the film is quite boring until the final car chase) and Unlawful Entry.